Friday, August 5, 2011

Maid Of Clay


Door to her Mind - Porcelain Pendant on Sterling Silver
"Hi! My name is Felicia, and I am the potter and sculptor behind MaidofClay. I create hand sculpted creatures with extra personality and wheel thrown pottery in stoneware and porcelain. You can view samples of my work at maidofclay.com (you'll have to type this in your browser as Etsy only has direct links within Etsy). I do everything from the idea, the execution of the idea, the photography, the listing, the packing and the shipping until it arrives safely in your hands.
I love all art mediums, but for the last 11 years I've been consumed by the art and craft of clay. I have three cats (Willoughby, Buster & Emmett) that I pamper overmuch, and I'm addicted to flea markets - I love finding treasures. I'm happily married and my husband loves cats and fleamarketing just as much as I do.
I succumbed to what I’ve termed the “Call of the Wheel” in the Spring of 2000 when I discovered the frustrating, yet strangely meditative joy of throwing a pot. Throwing clay soon took a backseat to sculpting clay when I began shaping small forms to add to my thrown pieces. I work with high fire stoneware clay and porcelain and construct my sculptural pieces through a combination of handbuilding techniques. I am equally happy making both whimsical, silly pieces and more sophisticated art pottery.
Learn a bit about Maid of Clay Ceramics with my Etsy Featured Seller article.
I don’t know how many people are interested in the technical aspects of clay, but, just in case…I bisque my greenware at cone 05 (almost 1900 degrees) and I do both mid-range oxidation firing (cone 6 – 2232 degrees)in an electric kiln and high fire gas reduction firing (cone 10 – 2380 degrees) for my glazed pieces. All the glazes I use for functional ware are commercial glazes manufactured by Laguna Clay Company and verified foodsafe."
bio written by Felicia via her etsy profile

1 comment:

maidofclay said...

Hi Jenny - Thanks so much for featuring one of my face pendants on your beautiful blog! Off to check out the rest of your posts.