Friday, June 24, 2011

For Strange Women


Natural Botanical Perfume Oils - Mini Mix-and-Match Set
"I am an electronic artist and analogue craftress in Kansas City, MO. Inspired by music, yesteryear, and my animal friends, I work every day to bring myself and my customers a closer connection to nature, a sense of peace through aromatherapy, and the idea that doing things as we did them a century ago is progressive today.
As an artist my first language was dance, then music, and now perfumery, and although they seem as if they would be very different, these diciplines are truly interconnected. Balance, harmony, acute sensory perception, and creative alchemy will always draw me into their magic.
I began making my own concoctions about 10 years ago because I am sensitive to the harsh chemicals used in commercial cosmetics, fragrances, and soaps, and could not find truly natural products anywhere. I fell in love with herbalism, aromatherapy, and eventually the coveted realm of natural perfumery. Although I make everything from soap to lipstick for myself, I decided to focus my offerings here to the emotionally rich realm of natural scent. I am also a very tactile-oriented person and love exploring texture within the perfume, all the way through to the packaging. I find an amazing comfort in natural ingredients and want to share this through each of your senses (except sound of course, which is why I love creating music on the side).
I have a "professional" background in video, graphic design, screenprinting, and photography. I refuse to work for "the man" anymore though.
I have a kitty named Jaqk and a boyfriend, Kevin who is kind of a crazed filmmaker. He (and I) are working on a documentary called Radiopoly, which follows the demise of commercial radio. He is also my personal photographer and my favorite photographer ;)
Kev, his son Simon, Jaqk and I all live in an old duplex upstairs, and my studio is the downstairs apartment. We live in a diverse neighborhood with a great energy, full of indie shops and restaurants that I can walk to and get much needed rice pudding, seaweed soup, wine, and coffee. All the things necessary for survival during hibernation, which I do a lot of."
bio written by Jill via her etsy profile
ETSY * WEBSITE * BLOG * FACEBOOK *

No comments: